Two Fruity Summer Cocktails from Billy Dec
Lawyer, actor, and restaurateur Billy Dec has the perfect cocktails to celebrate summer – the classic Singapore Sling, plus a Strawberry Fields, made with sweet fennel syrup. Plus, they’re both available on the menu at his restaurant Sunda, so you know they must be good.
4 Thai basil leaves, plus more for garnish
1 1/2 ounces gin
1/2 ounce Heering Cherry Liqueur
2 ounces pineapple juice
1/2 ounce lime juice with a splash of simple syrup
2 dashes angostura bitters
Pineapple wedge, for garnish
Luxardo cherry, for garnish
Edible flowers, for garnish
1. In the base of a cocktail shaker, using a muddler, muddle basil. Add gin, cherry liqueur, pineapple juice, lime juice with simple syrup, and bitters. Fill with ice and shake vigorously.
2. In a highball glass filled with ice, strain mixture. Garnish with pineapple, cherry, flowers, and/or basil.
For the fennel syrup:
4 ounces fennel seeds
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups water
For the cocktail:
2 strawberries, plus more for garnish
1 1/2 ounces vodka
1/2 ounce Cointreau or other orange liqueur
1/2 ounce lime juice
1/2 ounce lemon juice
1/2 ounce orange juice
1. Make the fennel syrup: In a small saucepan, combine fennel seeds, water, and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Place on stove over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Immediately remove from heat and strain out seeds. Refrigerate in a sealable container.
2. Make the cocktail: In the base of a cocktail shaker, using a muddler, muddle strawberries. Add Cointreau, lime juice, lemon juice, orange juice, and 1 ounce fennel syrup. Fill the shaker with ice and shake vigorously.
3. In a martini glass, strain mixture and garnish with a strawberry.
Get more delicious recipes by heading to Pickler & Ben’s Recipe Archive!