Recipe: Sunny Anderson’s Pomme Frites and Easy Curry Ketchup
Sunny Anderson shares her tips for making the most out of your homemade fries — plus ketchup with a curry twist!
Sunny’s Schnell Imbiss Pomme Frites and Easy Curry Ketchup
For the ketchup:
2 cups ketchup
½ cup honey
2 tablespoons mild, yellow curry powder
Freshly ground black pepper
For the fries:
2 cups warm water
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup sugar
½ cup coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
4 russet potatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise into fries
Peanut oil, for frying
1. Make the ketchup: Place ketchup, honey, and curry powder in a medium pot; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, over medium heat, until curry powder melts into ketchup and red color begins to deepen, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool completely. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Make the fries: In a medium bowl, stir together warm water, vinegar, sugar, and salt until sugar and salt have dissolved. Place cut potatoes in a large resealable plastic bag and add water mixture to cover. Seal and refrigerate for 2 hours.
3. Heat peanut oil in a large pot until it reaches 325 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Line a baking sheet with paper towels and set aside.
4. Drain potatoes and pat dry. Working in batches, transfer potatoes to hot oil and cook until potatoes are golden yellow in color, but not yet cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Turn off oil and let fries stand 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Reheat oil to 375 degrees. Line a second baking sheet with paper towels and set aside. Working in batches, transfer fries to hot oil and re-fry until lightly golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and season with salt. Serve immediately with curry ketchup.
For more tasty recipes, visit SunnyAnderson.com!