Recipe: Maneet Chauhan’s Gol Guppas with Mint-Cilantro Dipping Sauce
Food Network star Maneet Chauhan and Nashville restauranteur showed Kellie and Ben how to make her delectable Gol Guppas with Mint-Cilantro Dipping Sauce – and now you can, too!
Gol Guppas with Mint-Cilantro Dipping Sauce (Semolina Puffs Stuffed with Black Garbanzo and Tamarind Chutney)
Serves 4 to 6
For the Gol Guppas:
48 store-bought pani puri shells
½ cup black garbanzo beans, covered with water and soaked overnight
½ cup small, cubed, russet potatoes
1 teaspoon tamarind chutney, plus more for serving
½ teaspoon finely chopped cilantro
¼ teaspoon red chile powder
¼ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
For the Mint-Cilantro Dipping Sauce:
1 jalapeno, halved
1 cup fresh mint leaves
2 tablespoons ginger
1 teaspoon amchur powder (dried mango powder)
½ cup fresh cilantro
½ cup light brown sugar
½ teaspoon red chili powder
1. Cut off tops of pani puri shells and set aside.
2. Drain garbanzo beans and place in a medium pot; add enough fresh water to cover and generously salt water. Place hot over high heat and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer until beans are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
3. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a medium saucepan and add water to cover; bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat, drain, and transfer to bowl with garbanzo beans. Add chutney, cilantro, chile powder, cumin powder, and season with salt and sugar to taste. Place one tablespoon filling in each pani puri shell and set aside.
4. Make the Dipping Sauce: Place 3 cups water, jalapeno, mint, ginger, amchur powder, cilantro, brown sugar, and chile powder in the jar of a blender. Season with salt and cover; blend until well combined. Sauce will be thin and watery.
5. Serve the Gol Guppas with dipping sauce and tamarind chutney.
Get more delicious recipes by heading to Pickler & Ben’s Recipe Archive!