Recipe: Maneet Chauhan’s Coconut Kesari Mexican Churros
Food Network star Maneet Chauhan’s Coconut Kesari Mexican Churros are the perfect way to end your next meal, no matter what type of cuisine you’re having for dinner. Here’s how to make them!
Coconut Kesari Mexican Churros
Makes 8 (6-inch) churros
½ cup coconut milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
Pinch of saffron threads
1 tablespoon milk
4 large eggs
Canola oil, for frying
½ cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup dried shredded coconut, toasted
1. Prepare a pastry bag with a large star tip; set aside. Line a baking sheet with paper towels and set aside.
2. Place ½ cup water, coconut milk, butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until bubbles form around the edges, about 4 minutes. Add flour all at once, quickly stirring with a wooden spoon until smooth and no lumps remain. Remove from heat.
2. In a small bowl, mix together saffron and milk until well combined; add to heated coconut milk mixture and stir to combine. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition with a wooden spoon until dough is soft and glossy. Transfer to prepared pastry bag and set aside.
3. Fill a large, deep skillet, about ¾ of the way with canola oil; heat over high-heat until oil reaches 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer or until the tip of a wooden spoon handle dipped into the oil gives of a soft glow.
4. Meanwhile, in a large paper bag, combine sugar, cinnamon, and shredded coconut. Close bag tightly and shake to combine. Set aside.
5. Pipe dough in 6-inch lengths into heated oil, working in batches as necessary. Cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side, adjusting heat as necessary. Place churros on prepared baking sheet to drain slightly and transfer warm churros, a few at a time, to prepared paper bag. Shake churros until coated; repeat with remaining churros. Serve immediately.