‘Fall’ In Love With This Pumpkin Custard With Coconut & Pumpkin Seed Granola!
Chef Arnold Myint elevates pumpkin custard by adding a really tasty homemade granola. It’s the perfect way to end a holiday meal or start an autumn day—it has granola, which technically counts as breakfast, right? And to see Arnold at work, watch as he makes granola on our Pickler & Ben Food Instagram’s IGTV!
Pumpkin Custard with Coconut and Pumpkin Seed Granola
Makes 4 to 6 custards
For the coconut and pumpkin seed granola:
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup raw cane sugar
1 tablespoon coconut milk
Pinch sea salt
For the pumpkin custard:
4 to 6 mini pumpkin
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup raw cane sugar or palm sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Pinch sea salt
Pinch ground nutmeg
Pinch ground cinnamon
5 large eggs
1. Make the coconut and pumpkin seed granola: Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin seeds, pecans, coconut, sugar, coconut milk, and salt. Spread evenly on the baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
3. Make the pumpkin custard: Cut open the top, creating a circle around the stem, of the pumpkins. Remove seeds and stringy innards until completely clean.
4. In a medium saucepan over low heat, add coconut milk, vanilla, raw sugar, granulated sugar, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool.
5. Whisk in eggs until completely combined. Pour into pumpkins and top with pumpkin stems. Place in a steamer basket and cover. Transfer to a pot with water over medium-low heat and steam until custard is set, about 30 to 40 minutes.
6. Top the custard with a spoonful of granola. Place stem back on top of pumpkin to serve.
Get more delicious recipes by heading to Pickler & Ben’s Recipe Archive!