Matt Moore’s Pulled Pork Slider with a Sweet Potato Biscuit
Chef Matt Moore has a dish perfect for a football weekend. His Pulled Pork Sliders with a Sweet Potato Biscuit is adapted from his cookbook, The South’s Best Butts: Pitmaster Secrets for Southern Barbecue Perfection.
You can prep the biscuits weeks in advance and freeze the dough until game day. Just thaw, bake, and make the sliders! Yum!
Pulled Pork Sliders with a Sweet Potato Biscuit
For the slaw:
1 cup finely chopped red cabbage
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/3 cup barbecue sauce, divided
1/4 cup sliced scallions
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the sweet potato biscuits:
Nonstick cooking spray
1 1/2 cups mashed cooked sweet potato
1 cup (8 ounces) whole buttermilk
6 tablespoons (2/3 stick) salted butter, melted
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
3 1/3 cups self-rising flour, divided
For the sliders:
12 sweet potato biscuits
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 pound pulled pork (without sauce), warmed
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1. Make the slaw: Toss together the cabbage, carrots, and salt in a small bowl. Let stand 30 minutes. Rinse and drain well. Whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of the barbecue sauce in a medium bowl. Stir in the cabbage mixture and the scallions. Add the salt and the pepper to taste.
2. Make the sweet potato biscuits: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Stir together the sweet potato, buttermilk, and butter in a large bowl. Add the sugar, baking soda, and 3 cups of the flour, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8 to 10 times, adding up to 1/3 cup more flour to prevent dough from sticking. Roll the dough to 3/4 inch thick; cut with a 2-inch round cutter. Place the biscuits on prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Makes about 24 biscuits.
5. Make the sliders: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Split the biscuits, and brush with the butter. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 5 minutes.
6. Top the biscuit halves evenly with the pork, remaining barbecue sauce, slaw, and chives.
Get more delicious recipes by heading to Pickler & Ben’s Recipe Archive!