‘Pug-icorn’ Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing
This is the go-to sugar cookie recipe for actors Josh Snyder and Angie Kinsey—who also happen to host their own Youtube show, Baking with Josh & Ange. This simple recipe works for a variety of shapes and designs, but the Pug-icorns they shared with Kellie and Ben are a clear favorite.
Download the template to decorate your very own by clicking HERE!
Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing
Makes 10 to 13 (3-inch) cookies
For the sugar cookies:
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the royal icing:
2 pounds confectioners’ sugar
5 tablespoons meringue powder
2 teaspoons clear (oil-free) vanilla extract
3/4 cups room temperature water
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1. Make the cookies: In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter over medium speed. Slowly add the sugar until fully incorporated. Beat in eggs and vanilla on slow speed until mixed.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Add flour mixture one spoonful at a time to butter mixture, and beat on low until well combined. Cover, and chill dough at least three hours and up to overnight.
4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. On a lightly-floured surface, roll dough 1/4-inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter and place on baking sheets. Bake until lightly golden, about 6 minutes. Cool completely.
6. Make the icing: In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix sugar and meringue powder on low for 30 seconds.
7. In a small bowl, combine the vanilla and water.
8. With the mixer on, slowly add the water/vanilla mixture to the dry ingredients. As the water is added, the icing will become thick and lumpy. Continue to add the remaining water until the mixture reaches a honey-like consistency. Add corn syrup.
9. Turn the mixer to medium speed for 1 minute. After the first minute, turn mixer to high speed and mix an additional 2 minutes. Immediately remove icing and place in an airtight container.