One-Pot Shepherd’s Pie & Flourless Brownie Recipes from Megan Gilmore
This simple and straightforward dish—the entire meal cooks in one pot—comes from Megan Gilmore’s cookbook, The Fresh & Healthy Instant Pot Cookbook. For gluten-free friends, swap the soy sauce for tamari.
Megan also shares her tasty Instant Pot brownie recipe! These brownies are lower in sugar and fat than traditional treats. Sounds like a win/win.
To find raw vegan, refined sugar-free and gluten-free recipes, head to Megan’s website Detoxinista.
One-Pot Shepherd’s Pie
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
1/2 cup red lentils
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon dried thyme or 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pound cauliflower, cut into small florets
Fresh rosemary or thyme sprigs
1. In the base of an Instant Pot, stir together onion, garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms, lentils, water, chickpeas, thyme, rosemary, soy sauce, salt, and a few cracks of pepper. Add a 2 1/2-inch trivet over the top of the vegetables. Place a 7-inch oven-safe bowl, or one that fits inside the Instant Pot with the lid closed and allows air to circulate, on top. Add the cauliflower to the bowl. Secure the lid. Move the steam release valve to sealing. Select Manual/Pressure Cook to cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
2. When cooking cycle is complete, let pressure naturally release for 10 minutes. Move the steam release valve to Venting to release any remaining pressure. When the floating valve drops, remove the lid.
3. Using oven mitts, lift the trivet and remove bowl. Transfer cauliflower to a large bowl and mash using a fork or potato masher until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Stir the filling in the Instant Pot until lentils dissolve and the sauce thickens.
5. Spoon filling into bowls and top with mashed cauliflower. Garnish with rosemary and pepper.
Instant-Pot Flourless Brownies
3/4 cup almond butter
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup raw cacao powder
1 large egg
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, optional
1 cup water
1. Line a 7-inch round pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl, stir almond butter, sugar, cacao powder, egg, salt, baking soda, and vanilla to create a thick batter.
2. Transfer the batter to the pan and spread evenly using your hands. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, if using, and gently press into the batter.
3. In the base of the Instant Pot, pour water. Arrange the handled trivet in the bottom. Place the pan on top and cover with a plate flipped upside down or a sheet of parchment paper to protect the brownies from condensation.
4. Secure the lid and move the steam release valve to Sealing. Select Manual/Pressure Cook to cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
5. When cooking cycle is complete, let pressure naturally release for 10 minutes. Move the steam release valve to Venting to release any remaining pressure. When the floating valve drops, remove the lid.
6. Using oven mitts, remove the pan and trivet from the Instant Pot. Let cool completely in the pan before cutting, as the brownies will be very fragile when warm. Store in an airtight container in the fridge up to 2 weeks.
Get more delicious recipes by heading to Pickler & Ben’s Recipe Archive!