Michael Gabriel & His Daughters Make Vegan Smurf House Muffins
Chef Michael Gabriel has a fun and interactive way to start the day with little ones. Kids can make the crumb topping and top the muffins. For a marbled effect, fold the blueberry preserves into the batter just a few times to leave blue and white streaks.
Vegan Smurf House Muffins
For the cinnamon crumb topping:
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
3 tablespoon plus 3/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 stick vegan butter, cut into small pieces
For the muffins:
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup water
2 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon almond milk
1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon orange extract
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons blueberry preserves
1. Make the cinnamon crumb topping: In a medium bowl, using a fork, cut into desired sizes, flour, cinnamon, salt, brown sugar, sugar, and butter. Set aside.
2. Make the muffins: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place liners in a 12-cup muffin pan.
3. In a small bowl, mix together flaxseed and water to create “eggs.” Let sit 2 to 3 minutes.
4. In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder for 30 seconds.
5. In a medium bowl, combine flax “eggs,” almond milk, olive oil, orange extract, lemon zest. Mix for 30 seconds.
6. Slowly add liquid mixture into dry mixture, being careful not to overmix. Batter should be slightly lumpy.
7. Fold in blueberry preserves.
8. Using a 3-ounce ice cream scoop, fill lined muffin pan 3/4 of the way up the sides with batter. Top with cinnamon crumb topping.
9. Bake until lightly golden, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Get more delicious recipes by heading to Pickler & Ben’s Recipe Archive!