‘MasterChef Junior’ Winner Jasmine Stewart Makes Apple Roses
MasterChef Junior winner Jasmine Stewart has a sweet treat that is sure to impress any guest. These roses are almost too pretty to eat. (Almost!) If your apples aren’t soft, Jasmine suggests placing apples and a little water in a microwave-safe bowl, covering with plastic wrap, and cooking on high for 2 minutes.
Nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch kosher salt
2 red or green apples, halved and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
All-purpose flour, for dusting
1 package puff pastry, thawed
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
1. Preheat the oven according to the puff pastry dough package directions (usually 350 degrees) and grease 8 standard muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, whisk granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt together. In a medium bowl, toss the apple slices with the lemon juice.
3. Dust a work surface with flour and unfold the puff pastry. Using a rolling pin, roll out the pastry to a 16x12inch rectangle, with the long side closest to you. Using a pastry brush, brush one side of the pastry with half of the melted butter, then sprinkle with half of the spiced sugar. Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut the puff pastry into eight 2-inch-wide strips.
4. Arrange an equal number of apple slices along the length of each strip of dough, overlapping the apples slightly.
5. Fold the edge of the dough over the apples. Brush the dough with the remaining melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining spiced sugar. Gently roll up each piece of dough away from you, to resemble roses. Transfer each rose, apple side up, to a greased muffin tin and bake until puffed and golden brown, about 45 minutes. If the apples start to get too brown during baking, cover them loosely with a sheet of foil.
6. Remove the roses from the oven and let them cool slightly in the pan, about 10 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges of the roses and transfer to a platter. Serve right away with ice cream.
Get more delicious recipes by heading to Pickler & Ben’s Recipe Archive!