Mama’s 7UP Pound Cake by Grandbaby Cakes’ Jocelyn Delk Adams
Food blogger Jocelyn Delk Adams shares one of the very first cakes she ever baked in her cookbook Grandbaby Cakes. It is her mother’s favorite, and she only ever used the original 7UP soda as she believes you can taste the difference.
Mama’s 7UP Pound Cake
Serves 12 to 16
For the cake:
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
5 large eggs, at room temperature
3 cups sifted cake flour
1/2 cup 7UP soda, at room temperature
1 tablespoon lemon extract
For the glaze:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
3 tablespoons 7UP soda
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1. Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 315 degrees. Grease a 10-cup Bundt pan very well with the nonstick method of your choice.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the butter for 2 minutes on high speed. Slowly add the sugar and salt. Cream together until very pale yellow and fluffy, 7 minutes. Add the eggs 1 at a time, combining well after each addition and scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
3. Turn the mixer down to its lowest speed and slowly add the flour in 2 batches. Be careful not to overbeat. Pour in the 7UP and lemon extract. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix the batter until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 75 to 85 minutes.
5. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate. Let cool to room temperature. Lightly cover the cake with foil or plastic wrap so it does not dry out.
6. Make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, 7UP, and lemon extract until the mixture is pourable.
7. When the cake is completely cool, spoon the glaze over the cake and allow it to harden. Serve at room temperature.
Get more delicious recipes by heading to Pickler & Ben’s Recipe Archive!