Fritos Pie Bar
Chef Roblé Ali shares a fun, tasty recipe that’s a playful way to spice up any chili night. Simply make a spread of your favorite toppings and let each guest create their own Fritos pie. It’s even fun to eat it straight out of the bag!
Fritos Pie Bar
Serves 10 to 12
For the chili:
2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 1/2 cups diced onion
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 poblano pepper, seeds removed and diced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and diced
1 chipotle pepper in adobo, diced, plus more to add heat
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 cup beef broth or water
1 (15.5-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15.5-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
Sea salt, to taste
2-ounce Fritos Flaming Hot Flavored Corn Chips
2-ounce Fritos Original Corn Chips
2-ounce Fritos Flavor Twists Honey BBQ Flavored Corn Chips
Chipotle sour cream (sour cream blended with chipotle, salt, and lime zest)
Shredded romaine lettuce
1. Make the chili: In a large pot over medium heat, add the oil. When shimmering, add the onion, garlic, poblano, jalapeño, chipotle pepper, chili powder, cumin, coriander, paprika, oregano, cinnamon, and pepper. Cook until translucent, about 10 minutes.
2. Add ground beef and break into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Season with salt.
3. Stir in crushed tomatoes and broth, and simmer until slightly thickened and flavors start to come together, about 25 minutes.
4. Gently stir in kidney beans and pinto beans. If chili is too thick, add more broth and simmer for another 10 minutes. Taste and adjust salt if needed. Garnish with scallions and cilantro.
5. Make the Fritos pie: Scoop chili into a bag of Fritos. Top with a variety of toppings from the bar.
Get more delicious recipes by heading to Pickler & Ben’s Recipe Archive!