Duff Goldman’s Bacon Cornbread Cupcakes with Honey Butter
Chef and Charm City Cakes mastermind Duff Goldman mixes breakfast with dessert to create his totally scrumptious Bacon Cornbread Cupcakes, topped with Honey Butter! Learn to make this tasty treat at home.
Bacon Cornbread Cupcakes with Honey Butter
Makes 12 cupcakes
12 slices thick-cut bacon
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 extra-large eggs plus one extra-large egg yolk
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature, plus more as needed
4 tablespoons honey
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put bacon in a cold pan over medium-high heat, flipping three-quarters of the way through cooking, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and reserve the fat.
2. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with some of the reserved fat and set aside.
3. In a big bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and a pinch of salt.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, and 2 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat to a uniform color.
5. Chop 10 slices of the bacon coarsely into roughly 1/4-inch pieces. Finely chop the remaining 2 slices and set aside.
6. Quickly, but gently, fold the liquid mixture into the dry mixture. (It should be a loose batter, not a dough. If not, add just a tad more buttermilk.) Fold in the coarsely chopped bacon.
7. Divide the batter among the muffin cups in the prepared tin and bake until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out somewhat clean, about 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool 7 minutes, then turn them out upside-down so they develop a nice thin crust on the baked edge. Cool to just warm or room temperature before frosting, another 7 to 10 minutes.
8. With a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the honey, butter, and a pinch of salt together until light and fluffy. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a large closed-star tip and pipe a generous tablespoon on the tops of each of the cupcakes. Sprinkle finely-chopped bacon on top and serve.
Get more delicious recipes by heading to Pickler & Ben’s Recipe Archive!