Devin Alexander’s Chocolate Not-Only-In-Your-Dreams Cake
TV Personality and cookbook author Devin Alexander lost over 70 lbs, and one of the ways she trimmed down was by finding healthier ways to make her favorite foods. Check out Devin’s version of a chocolate molten lava cake that’s high on flavor but light on calories, with just 200 calories per serving!
Chocolate Not-Only-In-Your-Dreams Cake
Butter-flavored non-stick cooking spray
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large egg whites
1 cup light or dark brown sugar
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon very finely ground espresso beans
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons confectioners’ sugar
4 raspberries, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray four 3 ½-inch-round ovenproof ramekins with cooking spray. Set ramekins in an 8-by-8-inch ovenproof baking dish and set aside.
2. In a large bowl using a whisk or rubber spatula, mix together applesauce, vanilla, egg whites, brown sugar, cocoa powder, espresso, and salt until well combined and no lumps remain.
3. Divide cake batter evenly among prepared ramekins. Set baking dish with ramekins on rack in oven. Carefully add enough water to the baking dish so that ramekins are about halfway submerged in the water. Close oven door and bake until tops are puffed, but appear silky and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out slightly wet. Carefully remove ramekins from water bath and transfer to a wire rack; let cool 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Invert each ramekin onto a small dessert plate. Let stand 1 minute and carefully lift up ramekins to remove. If cakes do not invert easily, run a knife around the edges of each cake and repeat inversion process.
5. Using a fine mesh sieve, evenly dust each cake with ½ teaspoon confectioners’ sugar and garnish each with a raspberry. Serve.