Pillsbury Bake-Off Finalist: Cherry-Cream Cheese Crumb Cake Bombs
This morning treat earned Lauren Katz a place in the Pillsbury Bake-Off finals for Cozy Weekend Breakfasts, and for good reason. The combination of crumb-topped cinnamon rolls filled with cream cheese and cherry preserves is a great way to start a lazy day.
Cherry-Cream Cheese Crumb Cake Bombs
Nonstick cooking spray
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 (12.4-ounce) can Pillsbury™ refrigerated cinnamon rolls with icing (8 rolls)
3 tablespoons cherry preserves or jam
1 large egg
1 teaspoon water
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray 8 regular-sized muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, stir together cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Set aside. In another small bowl, using a fork or pastry blender, mix melted butter, 4 tablespoons flour, and granulated sugar until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Set aside.
3. Separate dough into 8 rolls and set aside can of icing. Place remaining 1 tablespoon flour off to the side on a work surface. Dip cinnamon-coated side of each roll into flour; shake off excess. With cinnamon side up, press each roll into 3 1/2-inch round. Spoon 1 teaspoon of the preserves in center of each roll; top with 1 rounded teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture. Bring edges of each roll up over filling and pinch edges tightly to seal. Place rolls, pinched side down, in muffin cups.
4. In a small bowl, beat egg and water with fork until combined. Brush egg mixture over top of each roll. Sprinkle 1 rounded tablespoon of the crumb topping on each roll; slightly press into dough.
5. Bake until golden brown, 16 to 18 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove cake bombs from pan and place on a cooling rack.
6. Place icing from can into 1-quart resealable food-storage plastic bag. Cut small hole in bottom corner of bag. Squeeze bag to drizzle icing over cake bombs. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Get more delicious recipes by heading to Pickler & Ben’s Recipe Archive!